Air fresheners were created by Bob Surloff in 1946 and was then introduced by the military in 1948. By 1950′s companies started selling these to the general public. Their aim was not just to scent a room, but also neutralize and sterilize any foul smelling smell.
Over the years, there has been a wide variety of air fresheners, suitable for each and every part of our life and home, whether its car fresheners or bathroom fresheners, living room fresheners, kitty litter fresheners etc.
Every nose is different, and everyone has their own dislikes where air fresheners are concerned. Below are the most detested of the scents that air freshener companies have created for us.
- It Seems like most people hate the Pine scent. Those trees that hang in the cars don’t give off the scent of pine, and it gets worse when hot weather is added. The scent then mutates into pine tree plus plastic burning.
- Evergreens are another detestable scent for most people. Some agree that in the beginning it is nice, almost pleasant, but as the day progresses, it becomes suffocating and gagging.
- Vanilla in the bathroom is a strict no-no. No one likes walking in and getting hit by not only bathroom smells but a thick whiff of vanilla. It is just wrong to make bathrooms smell like cookies.
- Peach is a fruit that is refreshing and tasty. In an air freshener it is just too much. People hate peach scented air fresheners since most give off an unnaturally fruity scent that is too overwhelming.
- Passion fruit is another detested scent. So is pineapple. Anything exotic is not well-liked by most people. However there are some fans out there that might object.
- Lilac scented air fresheners depends on the brand. While some brands make the scent light and airy, others coat the very air with these scents, making you think you live in a greenhouse. Worse are those that coat every single fabric item in the house, and it takes a while for the scent to diminish.
- Fresh linen might smell great when doing laundry, but in a scent it just bombs. There is a split in the middle however for this scent, some saying it does capture the essence of fresh warm linen, while others just roll their eyes and shake their heads profusely.
There are other weird scented air fresheners, bacon scented, fish scented, macaroni and cheese scented, cookie scented etc. Most do agree however that wet dog is the most foulest of smell whether in real or as an air freshener.
Some interesting facts on air fresheners! What’s the best and worst smells you’ve experienced – share your comments! Oh, and btw….